If you have a budding interest in competing in triathlons, you will be aware that your bicycle is one of the most important pieces of equipment.
While the swimming and running sections of the triathlon rely heavily on you and your ability, the cycling section also relies heavily on your bike.
You could be the best cyclist in the world, but if the bicycle that you have is poor-quality, your ability is going to be seriously limited.
As a beginner to triathlons, it can be tricky to find the bicycle that is right for you.
A lot of the options on the market are probably out of your price range, and while there are cheaper options available you might be put off of these due to the stark difference in costs.
In this guide, we’ve put together a shortlist of some of the best triathlon bikes for beginners to help you find the one that's perfect for you.
OUR TOP PICK
Our favorite triathlon bike for beginners is the SAVADECK 700C Carbon Road bike. This is an excellent choice for beginners who want to invest their money in a bicycle that will last.
Due to this, it is a pricier option, but this is mainly because of how excellent its design is.
This bicycle is lightweight, making it incredibly easy to control, and it also comes with speed control ability that allows you to switch speed multiple times as and when you need to.
If that wasn’t enough, it also comes with an aerodynamic design that will allow you to quickly pick up speed and move with the environment in which you are racing.
So, if you want a beginner triathlon bike that will last, this option is probably the best choice.
- Lightweight Design - this bicycle weighs only 21.6 pounds making this bike more compliant and easier to control when you compete in a triathlon
- Speed Control Ability - comes with 2*9 speeds and a shift gear that allows you to switch between speeds when necessary
- Aerodynamic Build - designed with a wind tunnel in mind to help the rider pick up speed, and continue to move at this speed while they are competing
- Pricier Option - this definitely isn’t a budget option, but if you want to start out with an excellent bike this is a great choice
We also love the Tommaso Forcella R2000 Aluminum Road Bike.
This is a slightly cheaper option than the first one that we looked at, but it is still a wonderful choice.
This bike has an incredibly durable build as it was designed using both aluminum and carbon fiber for different components.
Its design is also great as it was optimized to make this bicycle as comfortable as possible.
Comfort is hugely important in triathlon bicycles, and it is something that people often forget about.
This is why this bike is such a great choice. Finally, speed was a key priority in this bicycle, which is why it is one of the best options when it comes to triathlon bikes for beginners.
- Durable Build - this bicycle is built with a mixture of aluminum frame, and carbon fork, both of these materials ensure that this bicycle will last
- Optimized Fit - the design of this bike was completed very carefully to ensure that it is as comfortable as possible for the user, allowing them to perform at their best
- Insane Performance - speed was a priority in the design of this bicycle so every single component of it was built to help improve overall performance
- Limited Color Options - if you want a bike that has a pop of color, this isn’t the one for you as it is only available in matte black, and matte white
Another great choice is the Trinx TEMPO 1.0 700C Shimano Road Bike. This bicycle comes with lots of great features that make it perfect for beginners.
This includes the fact that it has a lightweight build of less than 25 pounds.
This will allow the user to build up speed a lot quicker which can hugely help pick up pace during the cycling section of a triathlon.
It is also a wonderful choice for beginners because it is a budget option, so if you aren’t sure that you will like competing in triathlons, this is a great choice.
Finally, it is a wonderful choice if you want a bicycle that has a pop of color as it is available in both green and blue color options. So, it's clear that this is a great option for beginners.
- Lightweight Build - altogether this bicycle weighs only 25 pounds, this will help you pick up speed quicker and perform better when competing in a triathlon
- Different Color Options - this bicycle comes in both a green and blue color option, perfect if you don’t want a monochrome bicycle
- Budget Option - this is a cheaper option, perfect for beginners, so if you don’t want to spend too much money this is a great choice
- Decent Quality - the quality of this bike is simply okay, it isn’t amazing, you simply get quality equivalent to the price that you are paying
Alternatively, you might consider the Eurobike EURXC550 21 Speed Road Bike. This bicycle is a brilliant choice if you do not have much experience with any type of bicycle.
This is mainly because this bicycle comes 85% assembled, so you only have to attach the wheels and handlebars, and then you are ready to start riding.
You might expect this to make the bicycle basic, but this really isn’t the case. In fact, this bicycle comes with 21 different speed options, making it perfect for your competition.
Finally, if you are a taller person, this is the best one for you as it specifically designed for those who measure between 5’8” and 6 foot in height. So, this is definitely a bicycle to consider.
- Easy to Assemble - this bicycle arrives 85% assembled, so it will not take long for you to attach the last few components ready to use the bike
- Multiple Speed Options - there are 21 different speed options on this bicycle, making it perfect for anyone interested in triathlons
- Perfect for Taller People - this bike is designed for those between 5’8” and 6 foot in height, so if you fall into this height category it will be great for you
- Budget Choice - this bicycle is inexpensive, so you shouldn’t expect it to last for years to come, but it is great for beginners
Finally, you might want to think about the Schwinn Fastback Al Charis Adult Performance road bike.
This is a brilliant option as this bicycle comes in lots of different sizes, from extra-small all the way to extra-large, making it easy to find the one that is the right size for you.
It is also a wonderful option as this bicycle is actually designed for those who are beginners-intermediate at cycling, making it wonderful for those who are new to triathlons.
Finally, this bicycle is wonderful as it is very durable, due to its strong aluminum build. It is pricey, but this bicycle will last, which is why it is such an excellent investment for your money.
- Lots of Height Options - this bicycle comes in lots of different sizes, from extra-small to extra-large, so it is perfect for people of different sizes
- Designed for Beginners to Intermediates - unlike most bicycles, this bike is specifically designed for beginners, making it perfect for you
- Durable Build - this bicycle is built with aluminum which is incredibly durable, ensuring that this bicycle will last
- Rather Expensive - while this bicycle is designed for beginners, it is quite expensive, so you need to think about how much money you want to spend
Best Triathlon Bikes for Beginners Buying Guide
The triathlon bikes that we have looked at above are some of the best options on the market. However, if you are still unsure on which to choose, we’ve put together this quick and handy buyer’s guide to help you out.
So, if you want to find out more about triathlon bikes before you buy, then keep on reading.
The first thing that you need to consider when you are buying a triathlon bike is the material which it is built with.
There are three main types of materials that triathlon bikes are built with. These are aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium.
So, let’s take a look at how these different materials will impact how you ride the bike, and how this will impact your performance in the triathlon.
One of the most common build materials for triathlon bikes is aluminum.
This is a popular choice because it is incredibly durable, and a lot cheaper than some other types of build materials.
However, aluminum-build triathlon bikes tend to have a bumpier ride than some other materials as aluminum is often used as a leftover material to build bikes.
In most race courses, an aluminum bike will perform perfectly fine. But, if you encounter a bumpier road, then an aluminum bike will not soften the blow of these bumps at all.
Another common build material for triathlon bikes is carbon fiber. This is even more expensive than aluminum, so if you are looking for a cheaper triathlon bike, this might not be the best choice.
However, lots of people like carbon fiber bikes as they are a lot more lightweight than some other options.
This can help you pick up speed during the cycling portion of the triathlon, and can make cycling less of a chore on your legs.
A carbon fiber bike is able to perform better than any other type of build material, which is why it is a very popular choice. Even if it is a more expensive option.
Finally, titanium is another material that is commonly used to make triathlon bikes. This is a material that has only really become popular in recent years.
However, it has rapidly become popular, so it is already heavily distributed in the triathlon bike community.
However, as a beginner, the chances of you buying a titanium bike are slim as these are the most expensive options on the market.
Typically, entry-level triathlon competitors wouldn’t invest that much money into a bicycle until they have gained a lot of experience in this activity.
So, even if you are tempted to buy a titanium triathlon bike, it isn’t worth it until you have gained a lot more triathlon experience.
Something else that you need to consider is the fit of the bicycle.
One of the most important things that will impact your performance in the cycling portion of a triathlon is whether your bicycle fits you, or not.
If your bike does not fit you properly then you will find that it quickly becomes uncomfortable. As you will probably expect, a key part of good performance in a triathlon is your bike being comfortable.
If the bike is uncomfortable it will put more strain on your body, and it will impact your speed and performance. This is something that could be detrimental to your overall speed in the triathlon.
There are some factors that you can compromise on when it comes to triathlon bicycles. But, fit definitely isn’t one of them.
So, when you are considering different bicycles, it is vitally important that you check that the bicycle will fit your body size, and shape, before you buy.
Finally, you need to think about the condition of the bicycle that you are looking to buy. If you are planning on purchasing a triathlon bike that is brand-new then this will be a lot less important.
But, if you are thinking about buying a second-hand bicycle then condition is incredibly important.
Once you have experience with triathlon riding, you will never consider buying a second-hand bicycle again. But, as a beginner it can be tempting to cut the costs slightly by purchasing second-hand.
After all, the majority of triathlon bikes are rather pricey, so if you are not confident that you will enjoy competing, you might not want to invest that much money into a bicycle.
If you do decide to purchase second-hand then there are some very important things that you need to bear in mind when looking at the condition of the bicycle.
You should never buy a bicycle that has a cracked, corroded, or bent frame. Additionally, you should avoid bikes that have any components that are not in good working order.
While condition is more important when you are buying second-hand. It is also very important to check the condition of a brand-new bicycle too.
Sometimes, retailers will sell bicycles that have been returned to them, so there is always a chance that they could be damaged.
So, before you bring your new bicycle home, make sure that you check it out for damage before you buy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What bike should I use for a triathlon?
There is no specific type of bike that you must use for a triathlon.
Even though we are talking about triathlon bikes, there is no specific type of triathlon bicycle.
Instead, those who compete in triathlons will use a variety of different types of bikes. A lot of people will use different types of bikes, but one of the most popular types is a road bike.
This is one of the best options for triathlons that take place outside sports arenas, as they are well-built for uneven surfaces and road conditions. So, the best option for a beginner is a road bike.
How much should I spend on a triathlon bike?
As soon as you begin your search for a triathlon bike, you will find that a lot of the options out there are very expensive.
There is a huge variation in the costs of triathlon bicycles, so you really need to approach purchasing one with an idea of how much you are willing to pay in mind.
Some of the best options on the market can cost between $1,500-2000, so they really aren’t cheap.
However, as a beginner you will not need an insanely expensive bicycle, so instead opt for a budget option that costs between $200-500 for a new bike.
Why are triathlon bikes so expensive?
You only need to look at the different types of bikes that are suitable for triathlons to spot that some of these options are insanely expensive.
Generally speaking, this is partly influenced by the fact that most bicycles are on the higher end of the price scale.
But, triathlon bikes tend to cost more money on top because there is no lower end of the market for this style of bike.
This is mainly because those who compete in triathlons are heavily invested in this activity, so will pay the higher prices for better performance.