You’ve spent hours training in the gym, your fitness levels are stronger than ever, and you’re ready to take on the challenge of a triathlon.
But what happens when you dive into the water and find that your goggles are rapidly filling with water?
This doesn’t only slow you down, but it’s uncomfortable too. And, depending on the quality of the water you’re swimming in, you could potentially be opening yourself up to a nasty eye infection.
Not to mention, you won’t be able to see where you’re swimming, which could result in crashing into other athletes or losing your way altogether.
To stop any of these nightmare scenarios from unfolding, it’s essential that you’ve got a great quality pair of swimming goggles when you’re taking part in a triathlon.
Finding the perfect pair isn’t easy, though. There are hundreds of brands to choose from and each claims to be better than the last.
So, to make things easier, we’ve done the hard work for you! Below, you’ll find our hand-picked list of the best swimming goggles for a triathlon.
We’ve even put together a super useful buyer’s guide that is packed with information on what to look out for when you’re making your decision.
OUR TOP PICK
Let’s begin by taking a look at our top pick. This Pack of 2 Swimming Goggles from Aegend offers you excellent value for money as you’ll be getting two high-quality swimming goggles for the price of one.
They also have some incredible features that will help you smash the swimming portion of your triathlon.
To begin with, they are totally leak-proof. This means that there is no risk of water blocking your vision or irritating your eyes while you are swimming.
The premium silicone material used in their construction and their ergonomic design ensure they fit snugly to your face and keeps water out without any pinching or discomfort.
The inner surfaces of the lenses are coated using Environmental Treatment Technology. This stops them from fogging up while you’re swimming and is completely safe for your eyes and skin.
So, not only will you be kept safe from any water entering the goggles, you’ll be guaranteed a clear view at all times.
The outer surface of the lenses has also been treated with UV-protective coating.
This acts in the same way as sunglasses and keeps your eyes protected from damaging UV rays and heat while you swim.
These triathlon swimming goggles are available in a huge variety of colors, so you’ll be able to match the rest of your workout gear perfectly.
And, despite having so much to offer, they are very reasonably priced. This makes them the ideal choice for anybody trying to stick to a budget.
- Leak-proof - the silicone construction and ergonomic design fits securely to your face to keep water out without creating discomfort
- Anti-fog - the inside of the lenses are coated with Environmental Treatment Technology to stop them from fogging up while you swim
- UV protection - the outside of the lenses feature UV protection that protects your eyes from UV rays and heat
- Pack of 2 - offers you excellent value for money and means you’ll have a backup pair if needed
- Available in a variety of colors - perfect for matching with the rest of your training gear
- Underwater clarity can vary - this depends on the color of the lenses though, so if you want crystal-clear underwater vision you should choose the clear-lens option
These G1 Polarized Swimming Goggles from ZIONOR feature a soft, flexible silicone gasket and a fully adjustable split head strap.
They also have an ergonomic nose bridge that is designed to fit a wider range of face shapes.
All of these things add up to create some of the most comfortable triathlon swimming goggles you’ll ever wear.
As their name suggests, they have special polarized lenses that help protect your eyes from UV rays coming from the sun and reflecting off the water while you swim.
They also help to restore true color, so you’ll have an incredibly clear view at all times.
The 3D double-seal frame is designed to be completely leak-proof, so there’s no danger of water getting into them even when you’re tackling that 20km swim.
The lenses have also been treated with enhanced anti-fog technology to ensure that your vision is clear both in and out of the water.
The lenses also have an innovative, curved design. This offers you a panoramic view and ensures you have unobstructed peripheral vision.
This is essential when you’re competing in close proximity with other athletes. Constructed from premium silicone and polycarbonate, these are swimming goggles that are designed to last.
- Incredibly comfortable design - features a flexible silicone gasket, adjustable split head strap, and an ergonomic nose bridge
- Polarized lenses - protects your eyes from UV rays while you swim
- Leak-proof - has a double-sealed frame that prevents any water from getting in
- Anti-fog - treated with enhanced anti-fog technology that keeps your vision clear at all times
- Innovative curved design - provides a panoramic view and unobstructed peripheral vision
- Lenses can scratch easily - however, keeping them stored in the included carry case when they aren’t in use can prevent this from happening
Speedo is a brand that is renowned for creating high-quality swimwear and swimming accessories, and their Vanquisher 2.0 Swimming Goggles are no exception.
The cushioned silicone seals and choice of four nose pieces allow you to create a comfortable, custom fit.
They are also completely latex-free, so they are a suitable option for anybody that suffers from a latex allergy.
They have mirrored lenses that maximize visibility and minimize glare.
The lenses also feature UV protection to keep your eyes shielded from both UVA and UVB rays reflecting off the water while you’re swimming.
These triathlon swimming goggles also feature wide, panoramic lenses. This design provides you with a clear, unobstructed view.
They are also treated with anti-fog technology for crystal-clear underwater vision.
Their low-profile design isn’t only aesthetically pleasing, but it reduces drag to allow for a better performance.
Specially designed for competition and training, these are leak-proof goggles that will let you concentrate on your pace instead of worrying about your equipment.
- Create a custom fit - these goggles come with four interchangeable nose pieces that allow you to create the best fit for your face
- Latex-free construction - the ideal choice for anybody that suffers from a latex allergy
- Mirrored lenses & UV protection - reduces glare, maximizes visibility, and protects your eyes from UVA and UVB rays
- Panoramic lenses - ensures unobstructed, peripheral vision
- Specially created for competing - the low-profile design reduces drag and enhances your performance
- Tight fitting - to ensure they are leak-proof, these goggles fit very tightly to the face and some people may find them a little uncomfortable
These Kayenne Swimming Goggles from Aqua Sphere have been designed with vision and performance in mind.
The clear lenses ensure that you have the clearest view possible while you’re swimming. They also make them a great choice for training in low light or overcast conditions.
Just because the lenses are clear, it doesn’t mean your eyes are kept protected from UV rays though!
They are specially coated with a clear UV treatment that ensures 100% protection from UVA and UVB rays while you’re swimming.
They also have an anti-fog coating to further ensure you’ve got the clearest vision possible.
Each lens has been crafted using Aqua Sphere’s patented curved lens technology. This means that you’ll have a 180º field of vision.
This design also provides exceptional hydrodynamics, so they’ll reduce drag and could even help improve your pace!
These triathlon swimming goggles are super comfortable, too. They feature a silicone nose bridge, a silicone head strap, and a quick-fit buckle. They also feature Advanced Fit Technology that creates a leak-proof seal around the lenses without sacrificing comfort or leaving facial impressions when you take them off.
- Clear lenses - provides a clear view at all times, even when competing or training in low light conditions
- UV protection - treated with a clear UV coating that protects your eyes from UVA and UVB rays
- Patented curved lens technology - provides 180º peripheral vision as well exceptional hydrodynamic performance
- Comfortable - feature a silicone nose bridge, a silicone head strap, and a quick-fit buckle
- Advanced Fit Technology - creates a leak-proof seal without leaving facial impressions
- Only available in one color - this isn’t a big issue, but if you’re looking to match your googles with the rest of your training gear you may want to consider a different pair
Made from a mixture of polycarbonate, silicone, and thermoplastic elastomer, the Cobra Ultra Swimming Goggles from Arena are extremely durable.
However, despite their strength, they remain lightweight enough to wear comfortably even when you’re swimming the distance that a triathlon demands.
Their anti-fog coating is among the best you’ll ever find in a pair of goggles and you’ll have crystal clear vision at all times.
They also provide clear vision up to 10x longer than most other triathlon goggles. And, if they do even start to fog up, you can simply reactivate the coating by wiping the lenses with your finger.
The silicone seals placed around the lenses make them totally leak-proof without pinching or indenting the skin.
The low-profile design also provides enhanced hydrodynamic performance and minimizes drag, potentially helping to improve your pace.
The lenses are also specially shaped to provide a wider field of vision underwater. They feature long, molded side temples as well, and these help to provide superior stability as you dive into the water and while you’re swimming.
To top it all off, these triathlon goggles even come with interchangeable nose bridges that allow you to create the perfect, custom fit.
- Extremely durable - made from a combination of a mixture of polycarbonate, silicone, and thermoplastic elastomer
- Anti-fog coating - lasts 10x longer than most anti-fog coatings and can be easily reactivated simply by wiping the lenses with your finger
- Silicone seals - provides a leak-proof performance without sacrificing comfort
- Low profile design - enhances hydrodynamic performance and reduces drag
- Interchangeable nose bridges - gives you the ability to create a custom fit
- Expensive - while these goggles have undeniably impressive features, they cost around twice as much as a standard pair of triathlon goggles
Best Swimming Goggles For Triathlon Buying Guide
When you’re taking on a grueling triathlon, there can’t be any room for error as far as your equipment is concerned. Your running shoes need to be top-quality and your triathlon bike needs to be reliable.
And, when it comes to your swimming goggles, you need to make sure they have certain features that will help you win the race.
Below, we’ll look at some of the most important things to look out for when you’re deciding which triathlon swimming goggles are the best choice for your needs.
Purchasing a pair that have at least one of these features will help you in ways you’d never have imagined.
The first thing you should make sure of is that your chosen swimming goggles are made from the highest quality materials possible. The last thing you need is for them to break halfway through your swim!
Silicone, polycarbonate, and thermoplastic elastomer are all excellent materials to look for. Some goggles are made using a mixture of these materials, adding to their durability.
They are all quite lightweight materials too, so there’s no risk of them weighing you down or feeling uncomfortable while you’re swimming.
It’s absolutely essential that the swimming goggles you choose for a triathlon are 100% leak-proof. This means that there’s absolutely no chance of water getting into your eyes, blocking your vision, or potentially creating an infection.
Most swimming goggles will have a silicone seal around each lens which acts as a way of keeping the water out.
The great thing about this is that it doesn't only mean they’re completely leak-proof, but you won’t feel uncomfortable while you’re wearing them.
This is because silicone is a soft, lightweight material that won’t pinch or dig into your skin.
Some goggles even use special technology (such as Advanced Fit Technology) to create a waterproof seal without leaving any indentations around your eyes.
The next thing that you need to check is that your swimming goggles have been treated with anti-fog technology.
This will usually be a coating across each lens that, as you might have guessed, stops them from fogging up as you dip your head in and out of the water.
Goggles that have an anti-fog coating will ensure you have a clear view at all times. Even when you’ve finished the swimming part of your triathlon, they won’t immediately fog up as soon as you race towards your bike.
Even on overcast days, UVA and UVB rays can damage our eyes. This is especially true when you’re in the water, as the reflective surface can intensify them.
So, to keep your eyes protected, you should choose a pair of goggles that have UV protection.
This usually involves the lenses being mirrored or colored, but this doesn’t mean you aren’t able to see clearly out of them.
However, if you would prefer to keep everything in the truest colors possible, there are some swimming goggles with clear lenses that have been treated with a special clear-UV coating.
It’s easy to get caught up in colors and patterns when you’re choosing swimming goggles for a triathlon.
However, while they should be aesthetically pleasing to you, the design of your googles could actually improve your performance.
Swimming goggles that have a low profile design will improve the hydrodynamics and reduce drag. In turn, you could find that you’re able to pick up your pace a little faster.
Some goggles also have a wide-lens design. This offers you 180º, peripheral vision, so you'll be able to see what’s going on around you and avoid crashing into other competitors.
Size & Fit
Finally, it’s important to make sure that your swimming goggles fit properly!
Unless you’re incredibly lucky, the likelihood of them fitting perfectly as soon as they’re out of the box is quite slim, though.
So, make sure you choose a pair that has an adjustable head strap. This will allow you to create a secure fit and, ultimately, will stop them from filling with water or sliding off your face while you’re swimming.
Some goggles also come with a choice of nose pieces. This gives you the ability to create a custom fit, rather than depending on a “one size fits all” approach.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of swimming goggles do triathletes need?
There are few important features that a triathlete needs to look for when choosing goggles.
You need to be able to see what’s going on around you, so they should have a wide lens and offer you unobstructed peripheral vision.
They should also be 100% leakproof, have an anti-fog coating, and feature UV protection.